Volunteers - Frequently Asked Questions
Updated on August 28, 2012.
Skate Canada understands that you may have questions as you move along through the volunteer process and journey. This document was prepared to provide you with answers to potential questions that may arise regarding the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013. If you have any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com or visit the website at www.worlds2013.ca for additional event information. This document will be revised on a regular basis so please consult the website for updates.
How many volunteers will be needed for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013?
Approximately 500 volunteers will be recruited for this prestigious event to ensure that the event will run smoothly and successfully.
What will ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 volunteers do?
Volunteers will carry out a variety of essential tasks and roles at the official ISU World Figure Skating® 2013 sites, including arenas, hotels and downtown London area. There are several distinct areas in which volunteers may choose to work; general, venue operations, hotel and registration, transportation and medical. All details regarding volunteer positions can be found in the Volunteer Information Package included on the Skate Canada (www.skatecanada.ca) and Worlds websites (www.worlds2013.ca).
Do I get to choose my volunteer position?
Volunteer positions will be assigned based on the positions available, an individual’s background and experience, as well as availability. Where possible, your preferences will be considered.
What is the time commitment to be a volunteer at the ISU World Figure Skating
- The ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 are being held from March 11-17, 2013. Volunteers are required to be available for the entire period of the Championships in addition to the set-up that begins on March 5, as well as the tear-down that concludes on March 18.
- Volunteer roles are varied and thus some areas may require volunteers for the entire 14 days, while others will begin later in the week. The more flexible your availability, the more volunteer options that may be available
- A normal volunteer day will be six to eight hours, including breaks
Am I guaranteed a volunteer position?
Many factors are taken into consideration when selecting volunteers for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013. These include successfully completing the online volunteer application form, passing a security check, and accepting the position offered. Volunteers able to contribute a minimum of 50 hours will be given priority in the selection process.
What is required to apply to become a volunteer for the ISU World Figure Skating
There are a variety of skill sets that will be required in different positions, including but not limited to:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older by March 5, 2013. Some exceptions apply for specific positions requiring skating ability. This information can be found in the Volunteer Information Package.
- Ability to create a welcoming environment for competitors, team personnel, media and spectators.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to perform varying levels of manual labour.
- Background in figure skating and knowledge of the sport an asset.
- Previous experience at Skate Canada events or with major international events.
- Advanced computer application skills – Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and high-energy environment.
- Language skills – ability to work in English, French and other languages is an asset.
Skills specific to volunteer positions can be found in the Volunteer Information Package.
Can I volunteer if I come from outside of Canada?
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 being held in London, ON. At this time Skate Canada is only accepting applicants from within Canada. Should volunteer numbers warrant the application to be open to international volunteers, information will be made available at www.worlds2013.ca. Please continue to check the Worlds website for updates.
Can I volunteer if I am under the age of 18?
At this time Skate Canada is accepting volunteer applications for ice patcher positions. Applicants for ice patcher positions must be a minimum of 14 years of age by March 3, 2013. If you are an under the age of 18, you must submit a volunteer agreement signed by a parent or guardian. The volunteer agreement and details are available with the online application.
Flower retrievers and ceremony participants will be recruited and selected by a separate process to be announced on the Worlds website by October 1, 2012.
When will the recruitment process begin and how will it look?
The volunteer recruitment process will begin on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 with the online volunteer application launch.
- Application at www.skatecanada.ca or www.worlds2013.ca: from April 10, 2012 until December 2012, or until all positions have been filled.
- Security check: All volunteers 18 years of age and older will undergo a criminal records check. Volunteers will receive an invitation by email to complete the criminal records check online (via BackCheck) within 3-5 business days of completing the online volunteer application. Skate Canada will provide this service and cover all applicable fees for volunteers.
- Confirmation: All applicants will be notified of their application status commencing in July 2012.
- Volunteer Availability and Uniforms: Confirmed volunteers will be requested to log onto their personal profiles closer to the event to input their volunteer availability and uniform sizing. Date to be confirmed.
What will be the best time to submit my online volunteer application form?
We strongly advise that you complete the online volunteer application form as soon as possible. Once all volunteer positions have been filled volunteer applications will no longer be accepted.
I have submitted my online volunteer application but have not received a confirmation email or an email to complete the criminal records check via BackCheck. Why is this occurring?
It is possible that your online volunteer application form was not submitted. It is important that all mandatory* fields are completed on the application form, otherwise the application will not be submitted. If you have not received a confirmation email or an email to complete the criminal records check, please contact Samantha – Event Coordinator, Volunteer Programs by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1.888.747.2372 ext. 2542 to verify if your volunteer application was received.
Is a photo mandatory for volunteers applying for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013?
A photo is mandatory for all volunteers applying for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013. A photo should uploaded at the time of completion of the online volunteer application form. All instructions on how to upload a photo to your personal profile can be found under the volunteer tab - “Online Volunteer Application Assistance” at www.worlds2013.ca. This photo will be used for accreditation purposes only and should be a passport style photo (head and shoulders only). If you are unable to upload a photo to your personal profile, please attach it to an email and send it to email@example.com.
Where will ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 volunteers work?
Volunteers will work in all the official ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 sites (arenas, hotels, airports and downtown London core).
- Competition venue – Budweiser Gardens
- Practice venue – Western Fair Sport Centre
- Official hotels
- Airport – Toronto Pearson International and London International
- Downtown Market Place
When will ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 volunteers be needed?
Days of volunteering as well as working volunteer hours will vary depending on volunteer job function. Volunteers should be available as of March 5 until March 18, 2013.
Can a volunteer work within two or more areas at the same time?
It is possible that volunteers may work in more than one area depending on their skill set and availability.
When will I find out about my specific volunteer role?
The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) in combination with Skate Canada staff will work together to form the volunteer teams. Once approved and assigned to a specific volunteer area, a member of the LOC will contact you to discuss details of scheduling and job function. This process will begin in July 2012, and continue up until the event.
Once I get selected, can I change volunteer roles?
With a volunteer team of approximately 500 volunteers, we cannot accept requests for volunteer position changes once assigned. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding with this matter.
Please note, however that due to constant changes of requirements with the Championships, the role and/or venue you have been assigned to may change in the lead up to the event. Where this is required, we will give as much notification as possible. There also may be times on-site at the event where you are asked to assist in another volunteer area if volunteer needs change.
Will volunteers be able to watch the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013?
Volunteers will not be able to watch the skating as spectators unless they have purchased tickets to the event. Being a part of the volunteer team, you will be at the heart of the Championships’ operations experiencing the surrounding atmosphere of this prestigious sporting event. Volunteers will be rewarded with positive once-in-a-lifetime experiences, as well as the recognition that they have personally contributed to the successful execution of the largest figure skating event in the world. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to watch skating in the Volunteer Lounge and surrounding volunteer areas when on breaks from their duties.
If a volunteer has a ticket to watch a session and would like to watch the skating, what
should he/she do?
If a volunteer has purchased a ticket to the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013 he/she should inform the assigned area supervisor and/or assistant as soon as possible. This will permit, when possible allowances to be made to avoid shifts that conflict with the skating sessions he/she wishes to watch.
What happens if I can’t attend the volunteer orientation session?
The volunteer orientation is the key opportunity for the organizers to communicate critical information to you, complete the accreditation process, conduct uniform staging and is therefore mandatory. This comprehensive training will also help to familiarize yourself with the event as a whole and your specific area of responsibility. Volunteer uniforms and accreditation tags will be distributed at these functions.
- Volunteer Welcome & Training - scheduled for Saturday, February 16, 2013 from 10:00-13:00 at the London Convention Centre (salons).
- Volunteer Orientation – scheduled for Saturday, March 9, 2013 from 10:00- 13:00 at the Budweiser Gardens
These dates, times and locations are currently tentative and will be confirmed closer to the dates with an invitation.
Will Skate Canada find me a place to live?
You will be responsible for finding your own accommodations while you are a volunteer at the Championships. Unfortunately, Skate Canada is not able to reimburse expenses for out-of-town volunteers. This includes travel, accommodation and/or mileage, meals and other expenses. Refer to the list of hotels under “London” and “Accommodations” on the Worlds website (www.worlds2013.ca).
Will transportation be made available for volunteers?
All accredited individuals for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013, including volunteers will have access to the shuttle busses that will be running between all the official sites. In addition, the London Transit Commission (LTC) will allow accredited volunteers to ride the busses at no charge. Please remember that your accreditation will be your point of access and must be shown at all times for access.
Will meals be provided to volunteers?
Meals will be provided to all volunteers working over a meal period and for a shift of 6 hours or more. There will also be snacks and beverages available throughout the day for all volunteers in the Volunteer Lounge.
Will a uniform be required and provided for the event?
All volunteers will receive a special uniform that must be worn during working volunteer shifts at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2013. Details regarding volunteer uniforms will be provided to all volunteers closer to the event.